Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Marathon.

Shortly after my first half marathon I changed the title of this blog from “The Road to 26.2 Miles” to “Running is Hell: a tale of pain, oxygen deprivation, laughs, weight loss, and accomplishment.” I don’t know at what point my goal went from a full marathon to just a half being acceptable, but it was a long time ago! So long ago actually that I don’t really remember ever thinking I wanted to do a full one. The Run Like Hell solidified my decision that a half was enough. Until now.

It is the beginning of December in 2010. In 2 1/2 months I turn 30. It has taken me a long time to get to the point where I believe that I can do what I set my mind to. And it isn’t just believing I can do it IF I set my mind to it. It is also actually DECIDING to set my mind to it. This has been the big step that I couldn’t take. 13.1 miles is a HUGE accomplishment for anyone, but especially for someone who couldn’t run 1 mile 2 years ago. But I have learned that accomplishing one huge goal doesn’t mean you’re done and can just sit back and relax for the rest of your life. It means you’ve made a huge step towards your next big accomplishment, whatever that may be. It means I’ve run half of a marathon. Twice. I learned that my mind controls my body, not the other way around. I also learned that I am not weak. I am strong. Strong enough, I think, to run a marathon.

And so on tonight I will register for the Vancouver Marathon. May 1st, 2011 I will run 26.2 miles…a slightly delayed 30th birthday present to myself. I’m changing the title of my blog back.

I want you to remember this blog post. I want you (more me actually, but it couldn’t hurt to have you remember too) to remember how strong and determined I am at this moment…because I have a feeling that the next 21 weeks of blog posts are going to be full of whining and recaps of pain and torture. :)

ETA: I wrote this blog a few weeks ago, but wasn’t ready to post it yet. It accidently got published for like an hour so sorry to those of you who read it twice :)

1 comment: